If you are looking for an easy vegan appetizer or side dish, this vegan tofu Caprese salad will be a perfect choice to go with your main dish.
It’s a delicious and refreshing Caprese salad made with fresh basil, tomatoes and tofu “mozzarella cheese”. I made this tofu mozzarella by marinating tofu in a mixture of olive oil, salt, oregano, and minced garlic for 3 days. Even if you are not vegan, this healthy salad is also great to help weight loss in summer.
What do you need for vegan tofu Caprese salad?
A good thing about making Caprese salad is that ingredients are common and easy to find to buy. And this vegan version is no exception.
- Firm tofu
- Flesh basil
For marinade sauce
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- lemon juice
- Balsamic vinegar
How to make Tofu mozzarella
1. Press tofu with a weight until the thickness is about one third of the original, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Chop a clove of garlic into small pieces.
3. Combine all ingredients for marinade sauce in a bow and mix.
4. Dice the tofu and place in a clean container. Then pour the marinade sauce.
5. Keep in the fridge for at least 3 days up to 1 week.
I served this salad the other night for my husband. And I didn’t expect him to eat the salad. Because he normally doesn’t eat meals with tofu, which pretends to be other ingredients. But actually, this one, my husband eat them all and said very delicious.
So I feel confident about this vegan tofu Caprese salad. I hope you enjy this flavorful, healthy salad when the tomatoes and fresh basil in the season!
Vegan Tofu Caprese Salad
- 400 g (14 oz) firm tofu
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 large tomato
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- salt and paper
- balsamic vinegar
- Wrap the tofu with paper towels and place weight to press the tofu. I used a large bowl filled with plenty of water.
- Let the tofu sit for about 1 hour to remove moisture.
- Remove the paper towels and cut the tofu into large dice.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt and dried oregano.
- Place the diced tofu in a clean container and pour the olive oil mixture and keep it in the fridge for 3 days to 1 week.
- Remove the container of tofu from the fridge 30 minutes before you make the salad. If the oil become solid, leave it until the oil runny.
- Remove the tofu and oil from the container to a large bowl. Then add the lemon juice and toss gently.
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices and place them on a large plate or a platter. And add the basil leaves in between.
- Add lightly drained tofu and top with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar to taste. Drizzle with the remained olive oil as you like.