It’s officially summer now in Japan! Time flew. I can’t believe that the rainy season passed. The rainy days in this year were much shorter than usual! Nowadays it’s getting hard to spend days because the summer in Japan is super humid and hot! But my children always wish to play outside, regardless of the weather, so we run into our favorite children playground in Mitaka, Tokyo on every weekends. On the hands, it’s pleasant to spend indoors with cool air conditioning for adult, but our body get too cold than we thought when we have been under aggressive air conditioning for a long time. So I think it’s needed to get your body warm up with the miso chowder so we don’t catch a cold!
This white miso cream soup is very easy and delicious chowder on Japanese version. It’s required 7 ingredients and 20 minutes to ready! Let’s go through the recipe briefly.
Start with chopping vegetable and stir in a pan with olive oil and smoked salmon. Then add flour for thickness. Pour milk and Japanese soup stock, dashi powder. Finish with dissolve white miso. I went onions, carrots and smoked salmon. But you can have other variations like potatos, leek and chicken. The most important flavor magic happened with Japanese dashi powder, soup stock. If you don’t have it in your shelf, please obtain it at Asian glossary stores or via online!
This can cover a wide range of Japanese food and can last few years as long as it keeps cool and dry. Traditionally basic Japanese soup stock make from bonito flakes and sea kelp. Chefs and cooking experts definitely do that way but majority of Japanese people use this dashi powder. So we can make miso soup and other Japanese food more easily. I hope this miso chowder could help you when don’t feel like cooking but want something nutritious. Let’s get through this hot summer!
Gluten Free Creamy Miso Chowder Soup
- 3 cup (750ml) dairy milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white miso paste more to taste
- 2 tsp Japanese soup stock, dashi powder
- 100 g smoked salmon slices
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced, optional
- 100 mushroom sliced, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the salmon and vegetable, and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in the corn starch until well combined.
- Pour the 100ml of the milk and whisk until smooth over low heat. Gradually add the remaining milk as stirring.
- Add the Japanese soup stock, dashi powder. Then bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the miso in a small bowl and add a ladle of the soup, and whisk until completely dissolved. Fold the miso soup into the milk soup in a large saucepan.
- Simmer another 2-3 minutes. Taste, and add more miso if necessary. Optionally sprinkle servings with parsley or pepper.