A while ago, though I made Chirashi Sushi to celebrate the Hinamatsuri event on March 3, Japanese Girl’s Day. We wished for happiness of my 3-year-old daughter.
Chirashi sushi is a traditional dish for the Girl’s Day and it’s very easy to make unlike rolled sushi because you can just put any kinds of your favorite ingredients, such as smoked salmon and avocado over the sushi rice on the dish.
I posted the very simple recipe to cook steamed rice which does not require adjustment of heat level. You can cook soft fluffy rice with Japanese rice / Italian rissoto rice within an hour. I have tried many different way of cook, this is the simplest, easiest and delicious way of cooking steamed rice and sushi rice.
If you want to increase amount of rice, simply double the amount of all ingredients. If you do not have a perfect fitting lid for your saucepan, please cover it with aluminum foil. I hope you like this recipe!
Really Simple Steamed rice and Sushi rice
- 1 cup(250ml) uncooked sushi rice / white rice / risotto rice
- 300 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar / white malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- a pinch of salt
- Place the uncooked rice in a large bowl and add plenty of water. Soak the rice for at least 30 mins. Then drain the rice with a sieve.
- Put the soaked rice to your saucepan and pour 300ml of fresh boiling water.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes with the tight fitting lid on.
- Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Keep the lid on the sauce pan at all times.
- For Sushi Rice: While cooking the rice, mix all ingredients of sushi vinegar together in a large bowl. Then fold the cooked rice into the sushi vinegar.