Here I will introduce my favorite udon soup stock powder. It’s the quickest way to make authentic taste of clear udon soup at home. The comforting udon dish is ready in 10 minutes with a pack of the soup stock after your busy day. If you make clear udon soup from scratch, you need bonito flakes, dried kelp, mirin (sweet rice wine), sake (Japanese rice wine) and light- colored soy sauce. Homemade dashi soup is better than anything. But the soup stock would be the better choice in terms of saving time and money to buy the ingredients which might be not frequently used.
Higashimaru Udon Soup Stock
This Higashimaro udon soup (the upper left of the photograph) is just divine. It has a history of over 50 years in Japan and I’m still being amazed at the authentic rich taste of the clear soup. The company of the soup stock called Higashimaru Soy Sauce. As you will notice from the name, this company products soy sauce. According to the official corporate page, they have been making soy sauce over 400 years. Also, the products include several dashi stock for the specific Japanese cuisines. As such, they are experts on the condiments forming a dashi broth.
The stock powder is individually packed per saving and it lasts 18 months. Basically, you can make just pouring hot water. If you make it more nutritious, add vegetable / meat when you boil the water. It’s nice to eat with carrot, spinach, spring onions, mushrooms and sliced chicken.
Quick and Easy Udon Noodle Soup
- 1 pack Higashimaru Udon Soup Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 serving udon noodles
- water for boiling noodles
- vegetable or meat of your choice
Making only udon soup
- Boil the water for the soup over a stove or in a kettle.
- While boiling the water, make the udon noodles. Pour the plenty of water in a separate large pan and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, following the instructions on the package.
- Place the soup stock powder in your serving bowl. Then pour the boiled water.
- Drain the cooked udon and transfer to the serving bowl.
Making with vegetable / meat
- Pour the water for the soup in a pan and add the vegetable / meat of your choice. Bring to a boil until cook through. You might need a little more water than 250 ml because the water evaporates.
- While boiling your ingredients, make the udon noodles. Pour the plenty of water in a separate large pan and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, following the instructions on the package.
- Once cooked the vegetable / meat, add the soup stock powder and stir. Taste it, and adjust the saltiness to your taste by adding water.
- Pour the udon soup in a serving bowl. Then drain the cooked udon noodles and place in the bowl. And top with the boiled vegetable / meat.