It’s my go-to recipe of Matcha green tea latte with almond milk, which happen to be vegan. Required ingredients are very simple: Matcha green tea powder, maple syrup and unsweetened almond milk. In my opinion, maple syrup is the best sweetener with Matcha green tea and almond milk, as it deliciously matches Matcha and almond taste. Though I usually drink coffee every day, opt for mocha latte the next morning after a day drinking too much coffee or alcohol. In other words, when I feel my stomach uncomfortable but need some caffeine to wake me up, Matcha latte always helps me to get a refreshing start of the day.
Instructions and tips
Delicious Matcha latte needs good quality Matcha green tea powder. Unfortunately green tea powder in tea bags are not alternative. Higher-quality Matcha is less bitter and have more sweetness with bright green color. It can be an expensive purchase. But it last ages in the fridge and will be used little by little. In addition, you can use not only for Matcha drinks but also for confectionery which I love!
2. Whisk vigorously with a metal whisk or a spoon until smooth paste without any lumps.
Whisking Matcha with a small amount of water on the first step is a method of making traditional Japanese Matcha green tea. If you pour boiling water directly into the Matcha, the bitterness comes out because the temperature is too high. Also, well whisked Matcha is connected to creamy texture. In my recipe maple syrup plays a role of the water.
3. Heat up the almond milk in a pan or microwave until just before boiling. Then add the heated almond milk and gently mix with the Matcha paste on the bottom.
As I mentioned in the previous step, the temperature of boiling water enhances bitterness of Matcha. So make sure to remove the heat before starts bubbling. If you like foamy latte, use a milk frother before adding the milk.
When you pour the heated milk into the mug with the Matcha paste, the temperature of the milk falls to around 80°C (176 F) which is the perfect temperature for bringing out the umami flavor and the sweetness from Matcha.
Matcha Latte with Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk
- Place Matcha green tea powder and the maple syrup in a mug.
- Whisk vigorously with a metal whisk or a spoon until smooth paste without any lumps.
- Heat up the almond milk in a pan or microwave until just before boiling.
- Add the heated almond milk and gently mix with the Matcha paste on the bottom.
- Optionally, dust some Matcha green tea powder.