Have you ever tasted Japanese fruit sandwiches? I like ham and cheese sandwiches with toasty brown bread, but I’m also a fan of dessert style sandwiches with plenty of fruits and cream. In Japan, this fruit sandwich is very popular that you can get at every sandwich shops and convenience stores. When I go to sandwich shops for a lunch, I always buy savory one and a fruit sandwich too as my dessert. To be honest, the fruit sandwich is the main reason to go to sandwich shops.
So today I will show you how to make my favorite fruit sandwiches at home. You can make it with your favorite seasonal fruit and other 4 ingredients: white bread, heavy cream, condensed milk and sugar. Even though I call this sandwich for dessert, the cream is not as sweet as the one with the decorated cakes. This gentle sweetness of the cream gives a way you will be able to taste of each fruit. So it might be nice to eat for breakfast too. My family, especially my husband also loves this kind of sandwiches. And we occasionally packed them to take outside for a family picnic.
The reason why I adore the fruit sandwich in the first place is because this shop (the photograph below). The brand with the cute bear called Märchen is famous domestic company of Japanese developed sandwich. Other than sweet sandwiches, they also have a variety of savory selections. But my love of their sandwich is sweet one at all times. This fruit sandwich recipe is perhaps a copycat of their sandwich.
- Choose thin sliced soft white bread to moisturize by absorbing moisture from whipped cream.
- When you cut the fruit showing cut sections, try to arrange them in height. The fruit you are NOT going to use for cut sections, you can cut into small pieces without much thought.
- Remove excess water of fruit before placing them over the cream. Otherwise the cream gets soggy.
- Line up the same height fruit in the center-line (see the photograph below) of a slice of bread at first, where you will show beautiful cut section of the fruit. Then fill the empty space with the other small sized fruit.
- Remember or mark on the plastic wrap which direction you’re going to cut in half.
- Cut with a sharp knife with a small movement. Be careful not to spill the fruit and cream out of the bread.
I hope you enjoy Japanese fruit sandwiches!
If you are craving for the combination of fruit and cream, also check out my FRESH FIGS WITH EASY MOUSSE AND ESPRESSO DRIZZLE.
Japanese Fruits Sandwich
- 8 sliced white bread 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick
- 300 ml heavy cream (double cream) chilled
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated / caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
Fruit of your choice (I used below)
- 1 banana
- 1 kiwi fruit
- 1 orange
- 12 small strawberries
- Prepare the fruit. Banana and kiwi: peel and cut into bite size pieces. Strawberries: remove the calyx. Orange: peel the outside and inside skin. Pat the fruit with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Place the sugar and the heavy cream (double cream) in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater until soft peaks.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and beat until firm peaks.
- Spread the cream evenly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Arrange the fruit over the cream on one side of 4 sliced bread with an awareness of how to look the cut section of the fruit.
- Put some more whipped cream on the fruit, filling the gap between the fruit.
- Cover the fillings with the other slice of bread. Then wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap. Remember or mark on the wrap which direction you want to cut the sandwich in half to show the beautiful cut section of the fruit.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight. Then Remove the plastic wrap and gently cut in half each sandwich with a sharp knife. Cut the crusts off if you want.
Hello refrigerator means normal fridge we hve to keep na r else in frozen section