Although hot summer is coming close to the end, I made easy Drayaki with ice cream filling! If you think ice cream filling is a bit cold, you could also go with sub other filling that you have on hand, like Nutella, ready made custard or whipped cream. Dorayaki is traditional Japanese style pancake sandwich with sweet red beans paste.
Anyone from adult to a children love this snack in Japan which I occasionally make for my family. But this time, I buckled down to make most classic Dorayaki for the first time! Trust me I’ve been working on Dorayaki recipe everyday after work over two weeks to make simplest, moistest and the most delicious Dorayaki I’ve ever made. Finally this easy and authentic Dorayaki recipe was born! I avoided to use Japanese ingredient Mirin because it’s not being sold in worldwide. But If you add a little soy sauce instead, it will become really authentic taste. Traditional Dorayaki recipe contains tons of sugar, like same amount of flour or even more. Though I always feel it’s too sweet even it has sweet red beans filling. So I reduced the amount of sugar but still maintaining proper moistness of Dorayaki.
Cooking step is very easy, because it’s just like cooking pancake. Mix batter, pour it into large non stick pan with preheated a little oil. Then turn it over as bubbles come out on the surface and cook other side for few seconds.
Batter is too sweet to burn easily. So pay attention to make beautiful golden brown on the pan. One more essential tip is cover the dish or tray with the cooked Dorayaki tightly with plastic wrap to prevent dry. It is the most important step to keep moisture.
Enjoy delicious combination of warm Dorayaki and cool ice cream! Oh and I have to say that your hands get sticky after eating. But tasty and fun!
Simple Dorayaki with Ice Cream filling
- 2 egg
- 4 tbsp sugar white or brown
- 3 tbsp honey(60g)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil except olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup plain flour(120g)
- 2-3 tbsp soy milk or water, any kind milk
- ice cream of your choice
- Place the eggs in large bowl and whisk by electric hand blender with high speed until soft peaks.
- Add the sugar, the honey, the oil and the soy sauce and blend with low speed for few seconds.
- Add the flour and the baking powder through a sifter and blend with low speed until combined.
- Pour the soy milk and adjust thickness to be just like pancake batter.
- Grease the small amount of the vegetable(not in ingredients) oil into non-stick large pan over medium heat.
- Pour the batter onto the large pan, and cook until bubbles appear on surface.
- Flip and cook other side for few seconds.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover tightly with plastic wrap to prevent from drying. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Top with your favorite ice cream and enjoy!