As coming to summer, you want to have some spicy hot foods, don’t you? Last weekend I cooked Japanese summer curry. It’s made by the box of the Japanese curry sauce mix, which you will find at Asian grocery stores or online. There are various named Japanese curry box like S&B and House foods, but everything works the same.
It’s really delicious and easy to make. If you are not in the mood to cook dinner and you have some meat and onions left in your fridge, the curry box helps your cooking much easier! Except simmer time, work time is about 10 minutes. It’s done with only add water and the Japanese curry mix to the stir-fry meat and vegetable. No fail recipe even if you make the Japanese curry for the first time. Once you eat the curry, you will love its thick spicy curry as majority of Japanese people do so.
One box can be served for 8 people. And today I will share the recipe for 4 people, so enjoy your arrangement of ingredient for half of it.
I hope this Japanese curry recipe widens the choice for your summer table!
Easy steamed rice recipe is here.
Japanese Summer Curry
- 1/2 box Japanese curry sauce mix
- 250 g beef mince
- 2 onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 eggplant
- 100 g asparagus
- 4 tbsp sliced almonds
- Cut onions into small pieces and other vegetables into bite size.
- Place the beef mince and the onions in a large pot. Keep stirring until golden brown.
- Add 2 1/2 cups, approximately 600 ml, water to the pot. After it boils, skim the foam from the surface. Turn the heat down to low to simmer for 15 minutes.
- While simmering the pot, grill the pepper, eggplant and Asparagus until tender.
- Turn the heat off, and add the half of the box of the Japanese curry roux to the pot. Keep mixing until the curry sauce is smooth, then simmer for 15 minutes with low heat.
- Roast almond on the way you do.
- Serve the curry with Japanese rice on the side. Garnish with the grilled vegetable and the roasted almond.