New season is apparently coming to arrive that I have longed for. One of the most excited things for cooking in fall is baking sweet potato. Japanese sweet potato is very sweet like people don’t think of making savory. Majority of Japanese sweet potato recipes are for dessert. Though I love eat as is the most, also like to enjoy sweet potato recipe experiment. This sweet potato spring rolls was a very success. Tastes like cinnamon apple pie. Please enjoy delicious combination of crispy outside, moist filling and creamy dipping sauce.
Spring roll recipe might looks complicated, but in fact it is very simple to make. Once mashed sweet potato mixture is ready, all left to do is rolling up and fry. Briefly place the mashed sweet potato on a spring roll wrapper and roll up with water as glue. It’s able to fry with only 1-2 cm a little vegetable oil. For the dipping pastry(custard) cream, it can be bought at grocery stores or if you prefer homemade, try easy recipe below.
You can enjoy crispy, creamy, moist and full of fall flavor in your mouth. I hope you enjoy rolling up step with your family or friends.
Have a nice crispy bits!
Crispy Sweet Potato Spring Rolls with Pastry Cream Dip
Sweet Potato Spring Rolls
- 250 g (9-oz) white sweet potato I used one 20cm(0.8inch) sized
- 10-15 sheet spring roll wrappers
- 3 tbsp white or brown more to taste
- 3 tbsp milk any kinds
- 1 small apple or 1/2 large apple
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour or cornstarch
- 200 ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
Sweet Potato Spring Rolls
- Peeled and roughly cut into small the sweet potato.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Then boil over medium-high heat until tender about 15 minutes.
- While boiling the sweet potato, chopped the apple into tiny pieces about 5 mm(0.2 inch).
- Drain and place the potatoes in large bowl and add the sugar and the milk, then mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add the chopped apple and mix until well combined.
- Cut the spring roll wrappers in half. Take one sheet of the spring roll wrapper carefully and place horizontally.
- Place about 2 tablespoon of the sweet potato filling on the spring roll wrapper in the front side. And paint some water along the edge in the back as glue, then roll up tightly.
- Fold over both sides and press hard with wet hands. Repeat with the remaining rolls. As doing that, keep them all covered with plastic wrap to prevent from dry.
- Preheat the vegetable oil about 2 cm on the large pan over medium heat. Fry the wrapped rolls in the oil until golden brown on both sides. Transfer rolls to a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Beat the egg and sugar in medium bowl with electric hand blender until slightly white and thick.
- Add the flour and blend on low speed until mixed.
- Pour the milk into small saucepan and heat the milk over medium heat until just before the milk starts to bubble.
- Add the milk into egg mixture while whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture to the same pan, and heat the custard base over medium heat, while whisking vigorously until thicken.
- Place the custard into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap, touching the whole surface.
- Let the custard cool down to room temperature and serve with the sweet potato rolls.